The path to this song went a little something like this:
- Read nostalgic post on Public Realm
- Watch time-warping Throwing Muses video on YouTube
- Watch another video on YouTube, this time some classic Lush
- And another video, now from Tanya Donelly’s solo work
- YouTube shows me related videos! Yay! It’s Belly playing a Hendrix cover!
- It’s like a time machine! How further back can I go?
- Tanya was a founding member of The Breeders. Ooooh, let’s check out that awesome Cannonball video!
- The video nostalgia-fest continues (I’m abbreviating the list now), and I eventually run across the completely infectious Siouxsie video.
Now I’m not really a Soiuxsie and the Banshees fan. Truthfully, they’re a bit weird for me. But when this song came out in 1991, I bought Superstition on cassette and played Track 1 to death. It’s just a great pop song that has managed to get stuck in my head again after all these years.
I also wouldn’t call myself a huge fan of them, but there are a number of Siouxsie and the Banshees songs I like a lot. Another one is “Face To Face”, which I think Danny Elfman wrote for them for the movie Batman Returns.
Thanks for the flashback Jared. I’ll have to head over to YouTube to look for “Cities in Dust” – a great Siouxsie track from 1986. The last time I saw that video was probably on one of the screens at the old Starck Club.